If you’re a FRIENDS fanatic like I am, chances are you’ve seen the episode with Rachels trifle! After watching that episode for the millionth time, I’ve decided to recreate Rachels Trifle and veganize it! And seriously guys, it’s so easy and I promise it won’t taste like feet *wink.
“It’s a trifle. It’s got all of these layers. First there’s a layer of ladyfingers, then a layer of jam, then custard, which I made from scratch, then raspberries, more ladyfingers, then beef sauteed with peas and onions, then a little more custard, and then bananas, and then I just put some whipped cream on top!”– Rachel Green (FRIENDS)
Rachels Trifle Recipe
Get all your ingredients together, and lets get to it!
- First, there’s a layer of lady fingers (some will be laying flat & others will be placed standing up along the glass)
- Then a layer of jam (on top & between the lady fingers)
- Then a layer of custard (which we’ll make from scratch)
- Then raspberries.. More lady fingers..
- Then beef sautéed with peas & onions..
Well.. not really. We’re going to use the Chocolate chunks for the “beef”, green skittles for the “peas” & coconut shreds for the “onion”
- Then a little more custard.. and then bananas (sliced)
- Then just put whipped cream on top!
Mmm.. it’s good!
I hope you have fun recreating Rachel’s epic trifle fail!
If you enjoyed this recipe, you would LOVE my sister’s recreation of Ross Geller’s Thanksgiving sandwich! (I KNOW!) It’s delicious! Click this link to take you to her blog!
Any F.R.I.E.N.D.S fanatic knows about Rachel's trifle. Well here's a Veganized version of it that I promise won't "taste like feet."
- 2 Whole Bananas (sliced)
- 1 Bag Skittles (only the green ones)
- 1 Bag Vegan chocolate chunks (Enjoy Life brand or similar)
- 6 tbs Maple syrup
- 1 Container Rasberries
- 1 Jar Jam (I used Strawberry jam)
- 1 Bag Coconut Shreds
- 1/2 tsp Agar powder (found at local health store)
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract (1 tsp for custard, 1/2 tsp for lady fingers)
- 1/4 Cup Powdered sugar
- 1 Can Coconut milk (full fat, refrigerated)
- 1 Cup Flour
- 2 1/4 Cups Soy milk (2 cups for custard, 1/4 cup for lady fingers. You can also use any other non-dairy milk)
- 1/2 Cup Vegan butter
- 1/4 tsp Baking powder
- 2 tbs Cornstarch
- 1 Pinch Turmeric
- 1 Medium size Ziplock bag
- 1 Trifle dish
Make lady fingers:
- Preheat over to 350F
- Mix sugar & butter till smooth
- Add flour, soy milk, vanilla extract & baking
- powder till combined
- Place batter into a Ziplock bag and cut the tip
- On a baking sheet lined with either parchment paper or foil, pipe batter in straight line
- Sprinkle powdered sugar on top of batter & place in oven
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until slightly brown
- In a saucepan, mix soy milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, corn starch, agar & turmeric until dissolved
- Cook on medium heat, keeping in mind to stir continuously (to prevent burning), until it starts to simmer
- Once simmering, take off heat and let cool (after cooling, a thin film may develop; remove film from mixture)
Make whipped cream:
- Open refrigerated can of coconut milk (be mindful not to shake the can, it will lose it’s solid state)
- Remove the solid coconut milk from the can (try not to get any liquid)
- Mix with powdered sugar until smooth
- Refrigerate until slightly hardened
- Top trifle with whipped cream
Build trifle (Reference pictures for a visual aspect on layering):
- Layer of lady fingers
- Layer of Jam
- Layer of custard
- Layer of Raspberries
- Layer or lady fingers
- Layer of chocolate, green skittles & coconut shreds (this will be your "beef sautéd with peas & onions")
- Layer of custard
- Layer of bananas
- Top it all with whipped cream!
Let’s make parenting easier with FREE printables!
Just click here to tell me where to send them.