“It’s a trifle. It’s got all of these layers. First there’s a layer of ladyfingers, then a layer of jam, then custard, which I made from scratch, then raspberries, more ladyfingers, then beef sauteed with peas and onions, then a little more custard, and then bananas, and then I just put some whipped cream on top!”–Rachel Green (FRIENDS)
If you’re a FRIENDS fanatic like I am, chances are you’ve seen the episode with Rachel’s Trifle.
So, after watching that episode for the millionth time, I’ve decided to recreate Rachel’s Trifle and veganize it! & I gotta say, it’s SO EASY and I promise it won’t taste like feet *wink.
Get all your ingredients together, and lets get to it!
First, there’s a layer of lady fingers (some will be laying flat & others will be placed standing up along the glass)
Then a layer of jam (on top & between the lady fingers)
Then a layer of custard (which we’ll make from scratch)
Then raspberries.. More lady fingers..
Then beef sautéed with peas & onions..
Well.. not really. We’re going to use the Chocolate chunks for the “beef”, green skittles for the “peas” & coconut shreds for the “onion”
Then a little more custard.. and then bananas (sliced)
Then just put whipped cream on top!
Mmm.. it’s good!
I hope you have fun recreating Rachel’s epic trifle fail!
If you enjoyed this recipe, you would LOVE my sister’s recreation of Ross Geller’s Thanksgiving sandwich! (I KNOW!) & it’s delicious! Click this link to take you to her blog!
Any F.R.I.E.N.D.S fanatic knows about Rachel's trifle. Well here's a Veganized version of it that I promise won't "taste like feet."
Servings: 12 people
- 2 Whole Bananas (sliced)
- 1 Bag Skittles (only the green ones)
- 1 Bag Vegan chocolate chunks (Enjoy Life brand or similar)
- 6 tbs Maple syrup
- 1 Container Rasberries
- 1 Jar Jam (I used Strawberry jam)
- 1 Bag Coconut Shreds
- 1/2 tsp Agar powder (found at local health store)
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract (1 tsp for custard, 1/2 tsp for lady fingers)
- 1/4 Cup Powdered sugar
- 1 Can Coconut milk (full fat, refrigerated)
- 1 Cup Flour
- 2 1/4 Cups Soy milk (2 cups for custard, 1/4 cup for lady fingers. You can also use any other non-dairy milk)
- 1/2 Cup Vegan butter
- 1/4 tsp Baking powder
- 2 tbs Cornstarch
- 1 Pinch Turmeric
- 1 Medium size Ziplock bag
- 1 Trifle dish
Make lady fingers:
- Preheat over to 350F
- Mix sugar & butter till smooth
- Add flour, soy milk, vanilla extract & baking
- powder till combined
- Place batter into a Ziplock bag and cut the tip
- On a baking sheet lined with either parchment paper or foil, pipe batter in straight line
- Sprinkle powdered sugar on top of batter & place in oven
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until slightly brown
- In a saucepan, mix soy milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, corn starch, agar & turmeric until dissolved
- Cook on medium heat, keeping in mind to stir continuously (to prevent burning), until it starts to simmer
- Once simmering, take off heat and let cool (after cooling, a thin film may develop; remove film from mixture)
Make whipped cream:
- Open refrigerated can of coconut milk (be mindful not to shake the can, it will lose it’s solid state)
- Remove the solid coconut milk from the can (try not to get any liquid)
- Mix with powdered sugar until smooth
- Refrigerate until slightly hardened
- Top trifle with whipped cream
Build trifle (Reference pictures for a visual aspect on layering):
- Layer of lady fingers
- Layer of Jam
- Layer of custard
- Layer of Raspberries
- Layer or lady fingers
- Layer of chocolate, green skittles & coconut shreds (this will be your "beef sautéd with peas & onions")
- Layer of custard
- Layer of bananas
- Top it all with whipped cream!